All successful applicants enter the English graduate program as PhD students. We do not award a terminal MA degree. Without exception, incoming students are fully funded through a tuition scholarship and fellowship to cover living expenses. Applications to the program are judged holistically. There is no specific grade-point average or GRE score required for admission; instead, we look for a variety of signs of high achievement in undergraduate or MA work, particularly in written scholarship. A literary-critical paper of 15-25 pages must be included with your online application as your writing sample.
The department's deadline for admission is January 7, 2017. All students must apply to the PhD program online through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Applications to the English graduate program require the following:
- a completed online application plus fee;
- a sample of literary-critical writing (15-25 pages);
- a brief statement of purpose describing your projected area(s) of interest or field(s) of study in the English department;
- results of both the GRE general test and the GRE Literature in English subject test (codes: WU = 6929; E Lit = 2501);
- official transcript(s) from all prior degree-awarding programs (BA and up);
- three letters of recommendation.
If you have questions about the PhD program and/or any aspect of the application process, please contact the Academic Coordinator:
Campus Box 1122
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899